Safety policy for High Power transducers
Many high power applications require a high level
of accuracy :
- A precise control of beam pattern distribution is essential to
precisely control the location of the ultrasonic beam and its interaction
- A precise control of the amount of generated power is necessary
to control the effect itself
The consequences of the inapropriate use of the
high power transducers can be serious as unexpected lesions of human
Moreover, the right functioning of a high power
transducer also depends on operating conditions. For example :
- Excess of electrical power or inapropriate cooling may damage
the transducer and produce various uncontrolled effects.
- Inappropriate electrical matching may produce unexpected level
of reflected electrical power and can produce spurious effects on
the electronic circuits.
Specification and using conditions
For these reasons, and in order to reduce as much
as possible the above mentionned risks, Imasonic designs its high
power transducers according to performance objectives but also according
to defined using conditions.
For each inquiry of high power transducer we check
the specifications with our customer, including using conditions,
with necessary level of detail to identify the possible risks for
the patient, and to define with our customer how to handle them.
"Safety Issues for HIFU Transducer Design", J.Y. Chapelon, C. Lafon
- INSERM U556, G.T. HAAR - ICR, G. Fleury, O. Le Baron, L. Chupin, F. Pichonnat,
J. Lenormand - IMASONIC, 4th ISTU Conference, 2004, Kyoto Japan
Download pdf (350kb)